Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Why can't we bike like they do?

Streetfilms makes great little movies about moving towards livable cities. I like this one, because it reminds me of when I first saw the way things worked for bikes in north-west european countries.



I used to think grade-separated bikeways were impossible to attain in America, I used to kind of sniff at them, thinking it was more fun to zip along through traffic than cruise on a path. But most people don't like going fast everywhere all the time, so I've since come to recognise I'm in the minority there. It makes more sense to have bikes omnipresent but with their own roadways, the presence of bikes would 'tame' cars as a guy puts it in the video. Thoughts? Would you put down your speedy track bike or cross-commuter in favor of a cruiser if it meant thousands more people biking on the road? Or would that destroy some of what you love about being a biker in America?

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the video. we can hope for the best here in the states. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't mind, but I'd be even later to everything than I already am...

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?